Extra Credit: Recipe Book - Resources for your Spanish Classroom
Summertime is supposed to be the time you don’t think about work or your students, but let’s be honest; you kind of have to think about them. You have to reflect on what happened the year before in order to improve the next year. Some administrators will ask you to take classes, the department chair will give you a summer reading list, and other teachers will challenge you to look for supplemental materials that you all can use during the year. But that’s not what I’m going to encourage you to do. I challenge you to TRAVEL! Yes, travel. Where else are you going to find a collection of recipes for our recipe book?
I’m starting a Spanish recipe book specifically for the teachers on this site. I don’t want the recipes that you tried from an online blog post or a famous chef. I want the recipes that you tried and loved while on summer vacation. Many chefs and cooks take it as a compliment when foreigners, specifically Americans, ask for their recipes. You have to do some serious butt kissing first, but they are likely to give up the goods. So the next time you’re on vacation and you come across a recipe that knocks your socks off, do us a favor and right it down.
Here is the format I would prefer you use:
- 3 pound chicken breast, cubed
- 6 quarts water
- 3 pounds white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 pounds yellow potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 ears corn on the cob
- 2 large bunches quascas, fresh herb
- Place chicken in a large pot. Add water and half the quascas. Boil chicken until tender. Remove chicken from the liquid.
- Add potatoes to the liquid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, reduce to a simmer, add the chicken and corn and cover. Allow to simmer for 3-4 hours.
- Season to taste.
- Before serving, add the remaining quascas.
- Garnish with heavy cream and capers.
- Serve with avocado and white rice on the side.
We would love to try some recipes you've acquired through your travels! Which one is your favorite?
Let the new year begin!
A fresh start and infinite possibilities.
The Biggest Food Fight in the World
By Ángela Padrón Spain is known for many cultural festivals, such as the Running...
Martin Luther King, Jr.
By Ángela Padrón One of the most famous figures in American history is...
Los sustantivos plurales
By Evelyn Silva Los sustantivos plurales Los sustantivos son las palabras que en el discurso...
EL DEFENSOR DE LAS LIBERTADES
Solamente tres personas tienen días conmemorativos federales aprobados por el gobierno de...