Chili with Chocolate
Chocolate was first cultivated by the Native Americans in Mexico and Central America around 1100 B.C. They used it for religious ceremony and celebratory purposes. But, we all know and enjoy chocolate as a sweet treat. Sometimes we reward ourselves and/or our students with a mini candy bar for all of our hard work. Sometimes we drink hot cocoa to warm us up on a snowy winter’s day. But did you know that chocolate can make a great addition to your savory dishes too? Try out this chili recipe, and let me know how much you love it! I already know you will.
Chili with Chocolate
Yields: 6 servings
1 pound ground beef or turkey (I prefer turkey)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup hot water
2 small cans stewed tomatoes, whole
1 small can kidney beans, drained
1 small can black beans, drained
1 small can whole kernel corn, drained
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Salt and Pepper to taste
The following ingredients can be substituted for a packet of store-bought chili seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- Combine ground meat and onion in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until beef is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the meat and onions, and transfer it to a slow cooker. If you don’t have a slow cooker, just use a large pot. Stir in water, tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, corn, chocolate chips, chili powder, cumin, oregano (or seasoning packet), and salt. Cook on High until chili begins to bubble, about 20 minutes. Reduce heat to Low, and cook until thick, about 2 hours.
"Books and movies are like apples and oranges. They both are fruit, but taste completely different."
- Stephen King
Adjetivos demostrativos & Pronombres demostrativos
Los adjetivos demostrativos son aquellas palabras que acompañan al sustantivo...
The Fall / Otoño
Fall, also known as “autumn,” occurs right after summer and before winter. It begins...
Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration
Old Spanish Fort at Saint Augustine, Florida, 1880s. (Photo by Kean Collection/Getty...
¡De regreso a la escuela!
By Evelyn Silva Ha llegado nuevamente ese momento del año en que regresamos a la...
Meet and Greet
Meet and Greets are an important event of any school year. A few days before the first day of...