The Pujllay and Ayarichi performances in Bolivia are very important to the Yampara culture and its connection to nature. In the rainy season, the Pujllay ritual celebrates abundance and fertility of Mother Nature. An altar is built in the yards of the houses and is covered with leaves, fruits, and food. On the other hand, the Ayarichi dance is celebrated in the dry season and is dedicated to Catholic saints.
Read more and view the short documentary video “Pujllay and Ayarichi, music and dances of the Yampara” (Bolivia): https://ich.unesco.org/en/RL/pujllay-and-ayarichi-music-and-dances-of-the-yampara-culture-00630
- What are the main differences between Pujllay and Ayarichi celebrations?
- What is the meaning of the altars with food, leaves, and fruits?
- Describe the musical instruments used in the different rituals.
In Costa Rica, the tradition of decorating oxcarts started in the early twentieth century. Nowadays, the carretas remain a strong symbol of Costa Rica’s rural past and history. Costa Ricans are proud of this traditional art: there are even creative carreta contests!
Continuar leyendo “The traditional oxcart or carreta”
Peru covers 496,225 sq mi of western South America. It borders Ecuador and Colombia to the north, Brazil to the east, Bolivia to the southeast, Chile to the south, and the Pacific Ocean to the west. Watch the following video about this fascinating South American country, a land full of contrasts and a country brimming with culture, legend, folklore and nature.
- Watch the video and pay close attention to the images. If you had to find a slogan or tagline for the promotion or Peru, what would it be?
- Write a short paragraph that could go along with the video to present Peru to a foreign visitor.
- Do you like hiking? Why? Would you like to hike in the Peruvian Andes?
An original promotion of tourism in Guatemala…. Guatemala’s tourism board invited 12 of the world’s leading instagrammers to travel around the country and snap what they saw. The Instagram tour — the first of its kind in Central America — brought together leading instagrammers from U.S., Sweden, Latin America and Spain.
- What do you think about this idea to promote a country to young people?
- What is the hash tag used for the road trip, and which places were visited?
- Select your favorite picture from the article and describe it.
With wonderful natural attractions and with wet weather most of the year, Chiapas has become into a true attraction for ecotourism and adventure tourism. Watch this video with astonishing images of extreme sports in this Mexican region.
- How many different sports do you identify from the video? Write a list.
- Which one of those extreme sports would you like to try? Why?
- Describe the Mexican landscapes that appear in the video.