The April Fair is one of Spain’s most international and popular fiestas. For a week every April, more than a thousand “casetas,” or tents, installed in the fairground area become the second home of the city’s inhabitants: a place where people come together to have fun, sing, and dance. Throughout the fair, people wear typical Andalusian dress: the men wear the typical outfit of the farmworker, and the women wear flamenco or gypsy dresses. By day, the fair is filled with horsewomen, riders, and richly festooned carriages.
- Would you like to visit the April Fair in Seville? Why?
- Are these festivities similar or different than the fairs in your town or city? How?
Does your country have a traditional dress, or do you know of any from your family’s culture? What does it look like?
A typical Mediterranean diet includes lots of vegetables, fruits, beans, grains and grain products. It also contains moderate amounts of fish, white meat, and some dairy produce.
The combination of all these elements brings health benefits, but one of the key aspects is the inclusion of healthy fats. Olive oil is most commonly associated with the Mediterranean diet but healthy fats are also present in nuts, seeds, and oily fish.
- Name some of the health benefits associated with the Mediterranean Diet.
- Spain is one of the main producers of olive oil in the world. What are the main benefits of olive oil?
- Create a list of all elements of a Mediterranean Diet according to the article.
Santillana USA provides links to articles in third party websites for informational/enrichment purposes. However, Santillana USA does not manage these websites or control additional content/ads/links that may be included in third party websites.
Spain has been chosen again as the location for scenes in Game of Thrones season 7. Three regions of Spain will host Game of Thrones crews during October, November and December from the wind-swept Atlantic beaches of the north to impressive castles and Roman ruins of the west and south. Filming is set to start in Spain from October 2016.
- Do you like Game of Thrones? Why?
- Take a look at the landscapes. Which one is more impressive and why?
- Select one of the pictures and describe it.
Spain is a beloved tourist destination. By 2015 Spain was the third most visited country in the world, recording 68.1 million tourists which marked the third consecutive year of record-beating numbers. In August 2016, a total of 10.1 million foreign visitors visited Spain, marking a monthly record and an increase of 5.8 percent from August 2015
- What are the most visited areas in Spain?
- Would you like to visit Spain? Why?
- What is your favorite dance? Explain.
Este video presenta la festividad de las fiestas del Pilar, que se celebran cada octubre en la ciudad de Zaragoza, en la región española de Aragón. Conoce su origen, sus celebraciones y su programa en este video.
Mira el video
- Durante el video se presentan algunas palabras de vocabulario traducidas. Apunta todas las que no conozcas y elabora un pequeño diccionario para el video.
- ¿Cuál es la historia de la Virgen del Pilar?
- Busca el río Ebro y la ciudad de Zaragoza en un mapa de España. Describe su situación. ¿De qué ciudades está cerca? ¿Está cerca de la frontera con Francia?
Vocabulario: la frontera, la fiesta, la ofrenda, la cabalgata, las carrozas, el manto, el apóstol