The Pujllay and Ayarichi performances in Bolivia are very important to the Yampara culture and its connection to nature. In the rainy season, the Pujllay ritual celebrates abundance and fertility of Mother Nature. An altar is built in the yards of the houses and is covered with leaves, fruits, and food. On the other hand, the Ayarichi dance is celebrated in the dry season and is dedicated to Catholic saints.
Read more and view the short documentary video “Pujllay and Ayarichi, music and dances of the Yampara” (Bolivia): https://ich.unesco.org/en/RL/pujllay-and-ayarichi-music-and-dances-of-the-yampara-culture-00630
- What are the main differences between Pujllay and Ayarichi celebrations?
- What is the meaning of the altars with food, leaves, and fruits?
- Describe the musical instruments used in the different rituals.
In Costa Rica, the tradition of decorating oxcarts started in the early twentieth century. Nowadays, the carretas remain a strong symbol of Costa Rica’s rural past and history. Costa Ricans are proud of this traditional art: there are even creative carreta contests!
Continuar leyendo “The traditional oxcart or carreta”
The April Fair is one of Spain’s most international and popular fiestas. For a week every April, more than a thousand “casetas,” or tents, installed in the fairground area become the second home of the city’s inhabitants: a place where people come together to have fun, sing, and dance. Throughout the fair, people wear typical Andalusian dress: the men wear the typical outfit of the farmworker, and the women wear flamenco or gypsy dresses. By day, the fair is filled with horsewomen, riders, and richly festooned carriages.
- Would you like to visit the April Fair in Seville? Why?
- Are these festivities similar or different than the fairs in your town or city? How?
Does your country have a traditional dress, or do you know of any from your family’s culture? What does it look like?
A typical Mediterranean diet includes lots of vegetables, fruits, beans, grains and grain products. It also contains moderate amounts of fish, white meat, and some dairy produce.
The combination of all these elements brings health benefits, but one of the key aspects is the inclusion of healthy fats. Olive oil is most commonly associated with the Mediterranean diet but healthy fats are also present in nuts, seeds, and oily fish.
- Name some of the health benefits associated with the Mediterranean Diet.
- Spain is one of the main producers of olive oil in the world. What are the main benefits of olive oil?
- Create a list of all elements of a Mediterranean Diet according to the article.
Santillana USA provides links to articles in third party websites for informational/enrichment purposes. However, Santillana USA does not manage these websites or control additional content/ads/links that may be included in third party websites.
Peru covers 496,225 sq mi of western South America. It borders Ecuador and Colombia to the north, Brazil to the east, Bolivia to the southeast, Chile to the south, and the Pacific Ocean to the west. Watch the following video about this fascinating South American country, a land full of contrasts and a country brimming with culture, legend, folklore and nature.
- Watch the video and pay close attention to the images. If you had to find a slogan or tagline for the promotion or Peru, what would it be?
- Write a short paragraph that could go along with the video to present Peru to a foreign visitor.
- Do you like hiking? Why? Would you like to hike in the Peruvian Andes?